Monday 4 May 2015

Amnesty International's Campaign to Highlight The Human Rights Act.

Hi there Ladies and Gents! 

I hope you have had a great Bank Holiday Weekend and have enjoyed the glorious sunshine that we have had today.

I have been an active supporter of Amnesty International since I was 14 years old, a while more than twenty years! Time does fly! I joined whilst at school after attending a lecture by a representative of Amnesty. I was greatly moved and believed that the work they carry out was, and very much still is, invaluable, especially to those that they help and support. They fight for the rights of people that can no longer fight alone or for themselves. 

We used to meet weekly in a designated classroom to write encouraging letters to prisoners of conscience and to rulers and governments, asking for their release and/or for changes in the law of the land. 

Things have become much more hi-tech these days, so as well as donations, I am always on stand-by to write/send emails and sign petitions. I've even been known to go on the odd march!

We are all aware that Our General Election is looming and this is an obvious time to get our MPs to listen to our opinions, in order that they can stand with us to represent us and fight for what we believe in.

Thus Amnesty International are currently running a campaign, asking us the public to ask our local MPs to uphold the Human Rights Act here in the UK and abroad. 

I would be grateful if you could spare a few minutes to check out their campaign.

Have a great week,


Shaleza.

No comments:

Post a Comment