Ladies and Gents!
I am not interested in politics, but as a citizen of the United Kingdom and a citizen of the world and this universe, I believe that we all have a right to our basic human rights. I am interested in personal development, because it encompasses all and any aspects of development of the mind, body and soul, but this development is inconsequential if we do not have the ability to protect and receive our basic rights to be treated fairly, equally and humanely.
Here is a list of rights that the Act gives us access to:
- the right to life;
- the prohibition of torture and inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment;
- the prohibition of slavery and forced labour;
- the right to liberty and security of the person;
- the right to a fair trial;
- prohibition of punishment without law;
- the right to respect for private and family life;
- the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion;
- the right to freedom of expression;
- the right to freedom of assembly and association;
- the right for men and women to marry and found a family;
- the right to peaceful enjoyment of personal property;
- the right to education;
- the right to free elections;
- the prohibition of discrimination.
Many countries in the world do not afford their citizens their human rights and people are still fighting and dying for this right, not privilege, today.
Sadly, the Conservative Government are planning to scrap the Human Rights Act here in the UK and have made it a priority in the first 100 days of Parliament. If this happens, then we become the only country aside from Belarus - a dictatorship - not to have the Human Rights Act in place. What is the logic of scrapping such an Act, which was created to protect us post war?
We all need to at stand together and support the Liberal Democrats' campaign to save the Human Rights Act. Please spread the word on Facebook and Twitter #LibDemsfightback and sign the petition:
'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.'
Charles F. Aked/ Edmund Burke.
Wishing you all safety, security and peace of mind in an ever-changing world.